Saturday, 26 May 2012
Had a list of jobs to do today (before I go away for a few days). Got through all I wanted to and started on the decorating prep work.
Loft hatch was first job. Used ex 4 x 1 1/2" timber and put a 15mm rebate and draught proofing slot into it. After cutting to size and building up I used rubber draught seal (same as windows) so that the hatch is air tight. Has a secret latch to keep it closed.
Hung the kitchen door which is slightly twisted. Loose stop rebates so I have 3 options. Fix stops to twisted door, try to take twist out of door and tell the merchants to swap.
Just general snagging and odd jobs for the rest of the day such as fixing a downpipe etc etc
Tiling has come on in the bathroom. Just needs the suite fitting and grouting now. The kitchen has been started and is looking good.
Met Vin the painter and he can start either this week or next, depending on another job.
Gas meter was fitted Fri but apparently had a leak and he didn't have a spare on his van - long winded!
So if I cant get the floor and 2nd fix joinery finished next week when I'm back i'll go on the garden. May rotivate and seed the area to have turf. Seed being the cheaper option! The rest will want some landscaping sheet putting down and covering with about 5 tonne of gravel.
Fence painting is halfway now.
Tuesday, 22 May 2012
|Neighbours Drive and Manhole|
|Neighbours Manhole, now adopted by water board. Indirect connection made from bungalow.|
Missed last weeks post and am late with this one! At least a few bit have changed now.
As of today all 3 main services are connected Gas, Water and Leccy. I need the meter installed before I can use the gas which will be on Friday. These utility companies have money to burn. When I got there this morning a chap from the water was there delivering some barriers for the water board. There was still a gaping hole in the path at this point from the Gas board. Gas was connected late last week. Anyway, gas board turned up to reinstate hole. They were told the water were coming later but they said they had to fill the hole in as it's their job. So no sooner had it been stoned, and tarmaced than the water board turn up with a digger to dig it straight back up. Obviously it would not be easy for these companies to liaise. The majority of the time it may also be awkward to all use the same area of the footpath and just have the single re-instatement, but in this case it was totally called for. Ohwell eh...
So the drive is done. Still need to get the kerb dropped but that's being subbed out anyway. Pleased with how the drive looks, perhaps wouldn't have gone so big next time, then again, people like off road parking.
All but one of the doors are hung inside. Merchants wont have the kitchen door in till Thur. Joinery wise I've just got the floor left, then the skirts and arc's in hall & kitchen. Pelmets and cornices on kitchen units after tiling then end panels down to the floor. Job Done.
Tiling starts tomorrow, few days of that then should be done.
Will have rest of bathroom suite by next week then it's when the ever busy plumber can get to me to finish off.
I'll see if I can get the walls and ceilings painted before I put down the new floor, makes life easier then.
After all the above it's just air test then carpets. Should be around 3 weeks away now depending on how painter and plumber perform. It could have been quicker towards the end had I of had different sub trades in at the same time but I wouldn't say it has dragged out at all.
Tuesday, 8 May 2012
Another slightly late update. Soon enough I'll be able to merge 2 weeks into one.
Outside is now all stoned up and ready for slabbing, blocking and gravelling. I've put a level access at the back (kitchen) door as well. I don't see the point in following all the Part M Building regs with regards to wheelchair access, to the expect someone in a chair to wheel out the front door and round the side if they want to go into the garden. Was also going to have a 600mm path with 150mm gravel but am now going to have a 900mm path all around. Do away with the gravel, the slabs will have a slight fall away from the house anyway.
I've fitted the majority of the kitchen. I'm waiting for the plumber to put a gas feed to the hob before I fix the worktops. I've also spaced out that run of units slightly differently to squeeze another 200mm wall unit in next to the cooker hood. I'll leave the pelmet and cornice till the sparks is finished and the splash back is tiled. Still have to choose the tiles for there. Interior design doesn't come naturally.
All the skirting's are cut as well as the majority of arc's. Have left all the hallway and kitchen ones off till after I've put my floor down as I think i'm going to go with an engineered Oak floor. Should match the worktop, easy to clean and not as cold as tiles. Both the bedrooms and the lounge are on. Bedrooms just need shelves inside the cupboards and a hanging rail. Will get on with the doors and floor once the tiling is done in the bathroom.
So this week patio and path should be done, sparks should be second fixed, and should start to see some tiles down in the bathroom.